Hurricane season lasts from June to November, so it’s important to keep your family prepped and ready for emergencies. Our credit union in Harlingen wants to remind our members to have an emergency plan and consider the following hurricane-ready tips for a safe summer and early autumn.
Create an Emergency Pack for Your Family
Besides stocking your home with resources, your family should also pack an emergency kit in case an evacuation order has been declared for your area. This pack should include:
- A few non-perishable foods and bottled water.
- Several pairs of clean clothes.
- A toiletry pack for each family member.
- A first aid kit that also includes prescribed medication.
Don’t forget to also protect your family by:
- Securing your home’s infrastructure with sandbags during heavy rainfall and boarding your windows.
- Reaching out to your local community for updates on the closest shelters and second homes for your pets.
- Keeping copies of your private documents (social security cards, birth certificates, etc.) and insurance papers for future reference.
Open a Line of Credit with Us
If you live in an area prone to heavy rains and hurricane conditions, then be prepared with a line of credit from our credit union in Brownsville or Harlingen. This way, you can start an emergency fund, fully preparing yourself should the worst happen in your area.
We offer three credit cards – the platinum, gold, and classic cards. The rates for each range from 9.95% to 17.95% APR. Each card includes fixed rates and no cash advanced fees or annual fees.
Start an Emergency Fund with VFCU
Save now by creating an emergency fund with our STAR Checking Account. Star Checking includes tons of perks like health discounts, insurance benefits, and discounts for grocery shopping. Contact our credit unions in Brownsville, Harlingen, or Raymondville to get started.